Do you own a restaurant? Then you need to know that restaurants are the industry consumers most often search for on mobile applications and browsers.
A new study by Constant Contact and research firm Chadwick Martin Bailey found that 81 percent of consumers have used a mobile app and 92 percent have used a Web browser on a mobile device to search for a restaurant in the last six months. That puts restaurants ahead of other frequently searched industries, including retail, entertainment, hotel and personal service businesses.
Not only are consumers searching for restaurants on their mobile devices, but 75 percent also say the search results often determine their choice of where to eat.
- iPhone owners are more likely than other smartphone owners to search for restaurants using their phones.
- 80 percent of consumers think it’s important to see a menu before they dine at a restaurant.
- 84 percent of consumers frequently look at more than one restaurant on their mobile device before choosing where to eat out.
- 70 percent of consumers think it is important to be able to read the menu of a restaurant on a mobile device, and
- 62 percent of consumers are less likely to choose a restaurant if they can’t read the menu on a mobile device.
What do these results mean for you? Clearly, it’s important to have a strong online and mobile presence.
- Make sure your restaurant is listed in local search directories like Local.com as well as on online restaurant rating and review sites such as Yelp!
- Monitor reviews and listings on a regular basis to make sure your listings are up to date; that you’ve optimized listings with current photos, specials and directions; and that you reply to all of your online reviews in an appropriate fashion.
- Put your restaurant menu online, and make sure it’s readable on all types of devices, even smartphones. “If a restaurant’s online menu is updated and available on mobile, it has a distinct step-up over competition in terms of conversion,” said Kristen Garvey, vice president of marketing, Chadwick Martin Bailey, in announcing the survey results. With this one simple step making such a big difference in attracting and converting customers, you can’t afford not to put your restaurant menu online.
Image by Flickr user fred_v (Creative Commons)