Follow Us:
Three sins every PR hack commits and how to fix them
Business, Lani Rosales, Public Relations
Three sins every PR hack commits and how to fix them
29 November 2011

My theory: Every single person in public relations has been handed down a mandate that they must connect with business writers, as well as companies, through Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and blogs. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the mandate, but superiors must have gotten together at a conference and decided gee, this Twitter is pretty neat, that will make it so easy for our PR reps to connect with others, a thought that has led to an emphasis on a higher quantity of connections. It’s no wonder that the  focus on quantity over quality  has led to the perception of a sloppy PR industry full of individuals that do little more than spam the world blindly. Read more…

Balancing Where You Are and Where You Want to Be
Business, Entrepreneurship, Thursday Bram
Balancing Where You Are and Where You Want to Be
22 November 2011

There are days that I want to throw tantrums about my business: full on, lay on the floor and scream like a two year old tantrums. I get frustrated by the fact that I know where my business can go, but it isn’t there yet. It’s not even a question of patience: I know how long it’s going to take to build up certain aspects of my business and I know how much I’ve already accomplished. Read more…

Northern Virginia Women’s Business Conference LiveBlog #wgbiz #nvwbc
Business,Women In Business
Northern Virginia Women's Business Conference LiveBlog #wgbiz #nvwbc
18 November 2011

First of all, congratulations to our winner, Elizabeth Hamilton, who received a free ticket to the Northern Virgina Women’s Business Conference. During the day I’ll be blogging live from the conference. I’ll update the #nvwbc Storify link about every half hour. Read more…

7 Costly Mistakes to Avoid When Answering Your Business Phone
Small Business Development
7 Costly Mistakes to Avoid When Answering Your Business Phone
17 November 2011

The process of monitoring thousands of calls across all types of businesses to ensure quality leads for our customers has given us great insight into some of the most common mistakes small businesses make doing a seemingly basic task—answering the phone. You’re probably thinking, “This is a no-brainer. I know how to answer my business phone. Read more…

Northern Virginia Women’s Business Conference Ticket Giveaway
Events,Tara Rethore
Northern Virginia Women's Business Conference Ticket Giveaway
16 November 2011

I’m very excited to announce the Northern Virginia Women’s Business conference ticket giveaway, brought to you by our favorite (and only) sponsor of Women Grow Business, Network Solutions, who is also one of the sponsors of this event. JP Events & Consulting and Reston Limousine are proud to present the third annual Northern Virginia Women’s Business Conference. THE one day event for visionary women who want to discover the tools for success, make strategic business connections and leave feeling empowered and inspired to take action. Read more…

Veteran’s Day: Why Small Business Owners Should Care
Business, Entrepreneurship, Human resources for Small Business
Veteran's Day:  Why Small Business Owners Should Care
11 November 2011

Veteran’s Day is barely a holiday in the US, except as a retail sales gimmick. Fewer than 2% of us have ever served in the military. And since we moved away from the draft to an all-volunteer service, those who do serve come from a smaller slice of the population. Read more…

Upcoming Women Grow Business Events (And How to Submit Yours)
Business, Entrepreneurship, Events
Upcoming Women Grow Business Events (And How to Submit Yours)
7 November 2011

We’ve got two events coming up this November for Women Grow Business, one live, and one virtual. It also occurred to me when observing shares in Facebook and on Twitter that many community members have their own events to share, so I’ve decided to try a little experiment, which we’ll discuss momentarily. First, let me update you on our latest news. Read more…

The Progress Principle – A Book Review
Business, Patricia Frame, Reviews
The Progress Principle - A Book Review
4 November 2011

I generally do not read business books. Most are pablum. At best, a concept which might have made a decent article is padded out to a pretend book. Read more…

Join the Small Business Forum Community
The Small Business Forum is a place where small business owners can learn, ask questions, and share advice on how to succeed online