Follow Us:
5 Basic Tips for Conducting a Great Interview
Home Page Blog,Marketing/Branding
5 Basic Tips for Conducting a Great Interview
18 June 2013

In my previous blog post, I covered 6 basic tips for giving a great interview that I’ve developed in my 2 ½ years of covering tech startups, first for Tech Cocktail and now for my own startup, UberStories. A word of advice: Not everyone is a great interview subject – shocking, I know. They might know their stuff but have zero personality or give really short answers that require constant follow-up questions. Read more…

Who’s Using Smartphones and What Does It Mean to Your Business?
eCommerce, Getting Advanced, Home Page Blog
Who’s Using Smartphones and What Does It Mean to Your Business?
18 June 2013

Smartphone adoption has finally reached critical mass: More than half of American adults now own smartphones, a Pew Internet & American Life study reports. Specifically, 61 percent of cell phone owners own a smartphone. Since 91 percent of the adult population has a cell phone, that means 56 percent of all American adults have smartphones. Read more…

Web.com Small Business Tip of the Day: It’s Breakfast Hour Somewhere
Customer Service, Home Page Blog, Just Getting Started

Sometimes the simplest idea can make the difference between profits and stagnation. Breakfast items have been a hot addition to restaurant menus for the past few years, and now the latest twist is McDonald’s adding their most popular breakfast items to their “Late Night” menu, available from midnight to 4 a.m. Still trying to regain lower-income customers who left during the recession and haven’t returned to the Golden Arches yet, McDonald’s thinks this small change could lure some back in the “midnight hours. Read more…

6 Tips for Giving a Great Interview
Home Page Blog,Marketing/Branding
6 Tips for Giving a Great Interview
17 June 2013

I interview a lot of people for my startup, UberStories, in which I cover tech startups and their founders in the Washington, DC, and Baltimore metro areas. Before UberStories, I was the editor and a writer at Tech Cocktail, where I also conducted my fair share of interviews (and watched interviews being filmed live). If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past 2 ½ years, it’s that there are a few basic rules for both giving and getting a great interview. Read more…

5 Steps to Using Twitter as a Customer Service Tool
Customer Service, Getting Advanced, Home Page Blog
5 Steps to Using Twitter as a Customer Service Tool
17 June 2013

If your small business is on Twitter to promote your product and services, why not take it to the next level and use Twitter as a customer service tool? Implementing a “customer service via Twitter” option can be one of the most effective ways of dealing with customer service issues. In fact, even if you don’t want to create a dedicated Twitter handle for customer service, you should have a strategy for responding to complaints and problems customers vent on Twitter about your business. Otherwise, customer service issues that aren’t handled properly can blow up in your face. Read more…

Web.com Small Business Tip of the Day: iBet You’re Reading This on an iPhone
Getting Advanced, Home Page Blog, Mobile marketing

Are your customers reading your email marketing, social media posts or website on an iPhone or Android? According to a usage study from Experian, most likely it’s an iPhone. The study showed Android users spend 49 minutes a day on their phones, while the average iPhone owner spends an hour and 15 minutes on their smartphone. And what are they using their phones for? For Android users the answer is making phone calls, while iPhone users are texting, emailing, taking pictures and social networking. Read more…

People Are Talking—About Your Customer Service, That Is
Customer Service, Getting Advanced, Home Page Blog
People Are Talking—About Your Customer Service, That Is
14 June 2013

No matter what type of customer service they receive from your business—good or bad—customers tell others about it both online and off, a study by Zendesk reports. Some 87 percent of customers say they tell others about good customer service. The bad news is that more of them (95 percent) tell people when they have a bad customer service experience. Read more…

Web.com Small Business Tip of the Day: Get the Skinny on Skinny
Getting Advanced, Home Page Blog, Marketing/Branding

If you sell food or beverages, you’ll want to know the latest hip marketing term in your industry: “skinny,” according to Advertising Age. According to a consumer-research psychologist, “[Skinny] personifies food and makes it more endearing. ” So why not just use the word “diet” instead to convey the same idea? “Diet” has negative connotations of sacrifice, while “skinny” is more lighthearted. Read more…

Join the Small Business Forum Community
The Small Business Forum is a place where small business owners can learn, ask questions, and share advice on how to succeed online