How Blogging Will Change In 2016 - Forum.web.com
Follow Us:
How Blogging Will Change In 2016
blogging

When it comes to marketing, there are some fundamentals that never change, like the four P’s (price, product, promotion, and placement). Much of marketing, however, is like technology – constantly changing.

Blogging has been undergoing a big change over the past couple of years, mostly due to content saturation and information overload. As a blogger, I have to keep on top of things, so based on what I’ve seen and read, here’s how I think blogging will change in 2016:

Your blog will morph into a mini-library

Blogs are no longer made up of only articles. Content that was once siloed (the photo gallery is over there, the blog is here, and the podcasts are yonder) is now finding a home in one spot – the blog.

Many blogs now include videos, photo galleries from events, and webinar and podcast recordings, among other rich content. Content is still long-form, but it’s not necessarily written – and that’s a big change as well.

You’ll need to include videos

Just as visual and video content are taking over social media, I think they’ll begin to play a much more prominent role on blogs. Due to time constraints, many people prefer to watch a one-minute video than to read a 350-word missive. If you want to engage people, start including videos (this is on my to-do list as well).

Your blog needs a niche

Because there is so much information out there, the only way for your blog to stand out is to find a niche that has yet to be fully tapped. The niche could be a topic or it could be focused on a single persona. Either way, produce helpful content on a regular basis, and the search engines will reward you.

You need to start publishing outside of your site

Last year, I read that Guy Kawasaki publishes almost all of his articles on LinkedIn rather than his own blog. The reason: Greater exposure faster. LinkedIn, to its credit, has turned itself into a publishing platform, but you don’t need to be Guy Kawasaki to reap the rewards. It’s worked beautifully for me personally, too.

Shift your focus from publishing only to distributing, too

Inbound marketing used to be more powerful than it is today. Even a few years ago, the simple act of hitting the publish button helped people find your content. No longer. Now you need to focus as much on distribution as publishing. After you hit “publish,” share your posts on multiple channels multiple times.

How has your blog changed over the years? What do you plan on doing differently in 2016?

Want more assistance growing your business online? Join the Web.com Small Business Forum for free access to our library of ebooks, the latest industry news and support from other business owners, entrepreneurs and working professionals. Join a Group to ask questions, share your opinions and grow your network! Visit Web.com to learn about our full range of affordable website design and online marketing services.

Monika Jansen

Monika Jansen

Monika Jansen is a freelance copywriter and editor who helps with companies of all shapes on sizes kick their content up to the next level. You can find her online at www.jansencomm.com.
Monika Jansen
Monika Jansen

Latest posts by Monika Jansen (see all)

Monika Jansen

Comments

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Join the Small Business Forum Community
The Small Business Forum is a place where small business owners can learn, ask questions, and share advice on how to succeed online
Skip to toolbar