Does Your Company Need to Get a DUNS Number?
Your organization typically only needs a DUNS number in a handful of situations. if you are:
- bidding on a federal proposal or contract
- applying for federal financial awards such as a grant
- are going to be working with a Fortune 500 company, such as when applying to be an Apple developer,
- want to establish business credit
- your organization needs a DUNS number, and if you have more than one location, you’ll need more than one. Some of the changes to who needs a DUNS number have just occurred in the past few years. Therefore even if it didn’t affect you previously in these situations, it could in the future.
How Do You Get a DUNS number?
DUNs numbers are distributed by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). You can go to the D&B website to apply online with a short waiting period, or you can call and have one issued to you the same day by calling their customer service line at 866-705-5711 or by speaking to a representative at (888) 218-4641. The number should be issued during your phone call.
There’s no charge for obtaining a DUNS number, and though there are services available to expedite the process, you can get free rush service by calling instead of applying online. You’ll want to keep certain information about your company handy during the call.
The infographic below shows some of the impact of the DUNS number. You can get more information at the Dun and Bradstreet site, as well as from this pdf on the White House site, or from the Small Business Administration.