Online video is growing in popularity as a marketing tool. But many small business owners are leery of adding online video to their marketing mix. If you’re still on the fence about whether it’s worth your time and energy to develop online videos, a new survey from Animoto might convince you.
Animoto polled over 1,000 U.S. consumers and found 96 percent say watching videos is helpful when making purchasing decisions, while nearly three-quarters (73 percent) are more likely to purchase a product or service if they can watch a video explaining it beforehand.
But that isn’t all videos can accomplish.
- 93 percent of respondents find video helpful when comparison shopping.
- 87 percent of respondents find video helpful for researching additional items from the same brand.
- 93 percent of respondents find video helpful for instructions post-purchase.
Online video also helps businesses connect with their customers and leaves consumers with a positive impression of their brand:
- 71 percent of respondents agree that watching video content produced by businesses leaves them with a positive impression of that business.
- Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of respondents say it’s helpful to watch videos to learn more about the company they will purchase from.
- 58 percent of respondents consider companies that produce video content to be more trustworthy.
If you think your customers aren’t watching online video, think again. In an average week, 94 percent of respondents watched video on a computer at least once.
Now that you know how online video can help your business, what kinds of videos would consumers like to see more of?
- Forty-two percent want to see more product description or service demonstration videos, such as a 360-degree view of a product or how to use a product.
- The industries where people most want to see more video content are electronics (57 percent), restaurants (39 percent), travel (34 percent) and exercise/fitness (33 percent).
What types of online video gets shared the most?
- 94 percent of all respondents are likely to share a humorous video
- 91 percent of all respondents are likely to share a heartwarming video
- 89 percent of all respondents are likely to share a video if they consider it educational
- 86 percent of all respondents are likely to share a video if there is an incentive for sharing, such as a promotion or discount
- 85 percent of all respondents are likely to share a video if it is helpful in providing information for a purchase decision
- 80 percent of all respondents are likely to share a video if it has a “share” button at the end
Choose the type of video that’s the best fit for your business brand, whether that’s humorous or serious. Then make it easy to share by posting it on social media, providing share buttons and promoting it in your marketing materials.
Need a website to host your online video? Learn about Web.com’s website design services.